Why Choose Donor Advised Funds
Tax benefits of donor advised funds are often among the most important considerations of donors for opening this type of fund. With a donor advised fund, time is on your side. You receive an immediate tax deduction for your contribution that establishes the fund, and for your additional contributions to the fund. Then, you recommend grants from the fund to qualified nonprofit organizations of your choice over time.
Cash and cash equivalents, appreciated securities, bequests, life insurance and real estate, among others can all be donated to establish the fund. Contact us if you have questions about assets you wish to transfer.
Simplicity and Privacy
Simplicity and privacy are highly valued by many of our fundholders. We manage the entire grant process from start to finish. We send you a gift acknowledgement letter for each addition to the fund and quarterly Fund Status Reports. You have no other receipts to itemize for tax time. If you choose, your grants may be made anonymously from your fund.
Investment performance information is readily available to you. Monthly investment earnings are credited to your fund, and earnings on your fund grow tax-free. The Foundation’s fee structure is competitive with commercial firms and local charitable institutions. Contact us to find out more.
We hope you will choose to partner with us by opening a donor advised fund at the Rancho Santa Fe Foundation. Contact us to discuss your charitable giving options and develop a strategy for your philanthropy.
What type of giving is right for you?
Compare the differences between a donor advised fund at RSF Foundation, a commercial donor advised fund, and a private family foundation here. This information can help you decide which approach is right for you. We also recommend that you consult a financial advisor to discuss a donor advised fund as part of your overall investment strategy.
Identify Your Charitable Giving Vision
A charitable giving strategy is all about making your philanthropy purposeful. Begin by identifying a vision for your charitable giving, and then you can put it into action.
The following questions will help you realize your vision and inform your strategy. See how you would answer them, then try them out on a loved one. You might be surprised by what you learn!
- What is the most significant impact you have had in your community?
- What person has had the most positive influence on your life?
- How do you define success?
- What are your top three philanthropic interests and why?
- What has been your best giving experience? Your worst?
- How do you and your spouse or family make charitable giving decisions?
- Do you prefer to give a little to several organizations or more to a few?
- How long do you usually continue giving to an organization or cause?
- How do you plan to teach your children/grandchildren about philanthropy or “giving back”?
- What impact do you want to have in the community and the world with your charitable giving?
Want to Learn More?